Our Radiologists are among the finest anywhere in the US.
LOYOLA STRITCH SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Doctor of Medicine, July 2008 to June 2012
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN
Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering Concentration in Molecular and Cellular Biology, Graduation with Distinction June 2003 to May 2007
Minor in Spanish
CEGRI, INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR HIGHER EDUCATION
Study Abroad Program, Spanish, Summer 2005
Residency and Fellowship Training
Advanced Diagnostic Neuroradiology Fellowship, July 2018 to Present
UNIVERSITY OF IOWA HOSPITALS AND CLINICS
Diagnostic Neuroradiology Fellowship, July 2017 to June 2018
UNIVERSITY OF IOWA HOSPITALS AND CLINICS
Diagnostic Radiology Residency, July 2013 to June 2017
6 months minifellowship MSK, 3 months minifellowship Body imaging
LOYOLA UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER
Internship, Internal Medicine, June 2012 to June 2013
Certification and Licensure
ILLINOIS MEDICAL LICENSE
Original issue date March 21, 2018 – Expiration date July 31, 2020
IOWA MEDICAL LICENSE
Original issue date May 17, 2017 – Expiration date February 1, 2019
Passed ABR CORE exam June 2016
Passed ABR Certifying exam October 2018
RADIOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA, MEMBER 10/2011 – Present
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF NEURORADIOLOGY, MEMBER 11/2015 – Present
AMERICAN COLLEGE OF RADIOLOGY, MEMBER 7/2013 – Present
GENERAL RADIOLOGY FEE BASIS RADIOLOGIST
▪ Iowa City VA Health Care System
▪ Iowa City, IA July 2017 – June 2018
▪ Moonlighting opportunity 10-20 hours weekly interpreting general radiology exams including CT, MRI, and plain films, predominantly neuroradiology, body imaging, and musculoskeletal
▪ Sage Environmental Consulting
▪ Houston, TX August 2007 – June 2008
▪ Evaluated gas and liquid lines at petroleum refineries as part of Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR) compliances
Fuortes M, Gastala J, Liudahl A, Hayakawa M, Derdeyn CP. Preoperative and Postoperative Imaging Evaluation of Arteriovenous Malformations. In: Dumont, Sheehan, and Lanzino Ed. Brain Arteriovenous Malformations and Arteriovenous Fistulas. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc; 2017. p62-67
DA Heller, ES Jeng, TK Yeung, BM Martinez, AE Moll, JB Gastala, MS Strano. 2006. Optical detection of DNA conformational polymorphism on single-walled carbon nanotubes. Science 311: 508-511.
ES Jeng, AE Moll, AC Roy, JB Gastala, MS Strano. 2006. Detection of DNA hybridization using the near -infrared band-gap flourescence of single-walled carbon nanotubes. Nano Letters 6: 371-375
JB Gastala, A Bryant, T Moritani, S Sato, Y Sato. Variability of imaging in the invariably midline diffuse midline glimoa. ASNR 56th Annual Meeting; Vancouver, BC, Canada. June 2017
A Bryant, JB Gastala, T Moritani, A Capizzano, P Kirby. Perfusion weighted imaging of high grade gliomas using high versus low flip angle dynamic susceptibility contrast imaging. ASNR 56th Annual Meeting; Vancouver, BC, Canada. June 2017
JB Gastala, A Capizzano, P Kirby, T Moritani. Hyperammonemic or non-hyperammonemic hepatic encephalopathy: Pathology and pathophysiology and imaging findings with emphasis on diffusion-weighted imaging. RSNA 2016. Chicago, IL. November 2016
JB Gastala, T Moritani. Usual and unusual imaging findings of herpes encephalitis – Imaging pitfalls, differential diagnosis, and pathological correlations. ASNR 54th Annual Meeting. Washington DC. May 2016.
JB Gastala, A Capizzano, P Kirby, T Moritani. Pathology and pathophysiology of hepatic encephalopathy with emphasis on diffusion weighted imaging. ASNR 53rd Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. April 2015.
JB Gastala, A Capizzano, P Kirby, T Moritani. What radiologists should know about brain death: Radiologic signs of a nonradiologic diagnosis. ASNR 53rd Annual Meeting; Chicago, IL. April 2015.
JB Gastala, B Policeni. Distribution of subarachnoid hemorrhage with respect to the foramen magnum in relation to ruptured intracranial aneurysms. ASNR 53rd Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL. April 2015.
JB Gastala, A Capizzano, P Kirby, T Moritani. Brain death: Radiologic signs of a nonradiologic diagnosis. RSNA 2014; Chicago, IL. November 2014.
JB Gastala, A Ucuzian, A Matsumura, H Greisler. The role of SMCs in the stabilization of engineered microvasculatures in fibrin hydrogels. St. Alberts Day Poster Presentation Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine. Maywood, IL. November 2008.
Honors and Awards
▪ Certificate of Merit, RSNA 2016. Hyperammonemic or non-hyperammonemic hepatic encephalopathy: Pathology and pathophysiology and imaging findings with emphasis on diffusion-weighted imaging ▪ Invitation for submission to Radiographics, RSNA 2014. Brain death: Radiologic signs of a nonradiologic diagnosis
▪ STAR Program Research Grant Recipient, Summer 2008. Annually awarded to 20 Loyola Medical Students
VOLUNTEER – CATHOLIC CHARITIES HEALTH FAIR
▪ Volunteered as an intern serving at a weekly health fair providing preventative screening and physical exams for underserved areas in Chicago
VOLUNTEER – NLVS HEALTH CLINIC
August 2008 – August 2009
▪ Volunteered as a medical student serving an underprivileged patient population at a local clinic in Chicago
ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES: Chicago Marathon 2009, 2013, 2015